Sunday, April 15, 2007

A funny thing happened at church today...

During Sacrament meeting the little boy in the row in front of us vomited! Yes, that’s right….vomited. (YES Amy….. it was “child’s vomit”!?!) The little boy actually belonged to the couple speaking! So his grandma and grandpa got more than they bargained for today! His parents didn’t have a clue what was going on (thank goodness!)

Well, my instinct was to ignore the situation. At least for the time being, really, what could be done? Then my sweet Marisa leaned over to me and said, “Should I go get some paper towels?” “Of course”, I answered wanting to encourage her inspiration to help. So off she went returning with a wad of paper towels………what was she really going to do with that wad of paper? So I leaned up to survey the damage and suggested she first wipe of the hymn book. Then she wiped up what she could. I knew the only way to properly clean the cloth on the bench was to get my carpet cleaner. So Steven and I left for home. We came back just as the little boy’s father was finishing up his talk. After the meeting we checked with the first counselor about using our carpet cleaner in the chapel and then we began work to clean up the mess.

Many people expressed their gratitude to us for jumping in and cleaning things up as they noticed people leave quickly from the area following the closing prayer. Thanks to Marisa we had the opportunity to serve our Heavenly Father in his house today…..in an interesting, yet special way.

Here is the funny part. Last week was fast and testimony meeting. A family blessed their baby. There was only time for 4 people to bear their testimonies (because three of the four people were long winded and shared details we didn’t need to hear about). Details sometimes cause people to share too much about their trials in an effort to help an audience understand how it relates to their testimony. WELL, this day, one of the testimonies included details of vomiting every 45 minutes…..ugh. I made the mistake of voicing my opinion to my husband that I didn’t think testimony meeting was the place to hear the word VOMIT!

Ha, ha, ha…….so on my way home from church today – I laughed with Mark about the Lord’s sense of humor……even funnier, I led our family into the chapel today and we had a choice; to sit in the row behind this family or to sit next to them... which would have put ME in the line of fire! Thank goodness I picked wisely!

8 comments:

zeeny said...

That is so funny! Good thing Amy wasn't with you...she probably wouldn't asked rather loudly if that was indeed childs vomit that splattered on her leg! j/k

Sonja said...

niiiiiice.....
:)
It seems that with our collection of gross little boy stories, we should have that one - thank goodness we don't!!!

amelia said...

i take exception of being accused of loudly objecting to child's vomit. just cause i did it once, doesn't mean i'd do it every time!

and you're much better than me. i probably would have been one of the one's hurrying away...

natasha said...

Well, I must say....my plans WERE to hurry off.....until my daughter suggested we help! The nerve she has.....ha, ha, ha j/k.

Amy....there are some things we all have to live with - and YOU get to live with the "airplane child's vomit" remark for the rest of forever and ever....because it was just too funny! I just wish I could replicate the look on your face when I pass the story on!

Maybe you aught to be my partner in crime on developing the vomit chew?! hee, hee, hee

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Marisa's instincts. It must have been a great relief for the
grand parents.
Have a nice day. Mine
started well with subbing in the temple for President
Greene to open and handle the temple while workmen were there to clean, etc. A nice day.
Dad

Anonymous said...

What was Amy's faux pas that caused such universal
comments? I must have missed that one or there is
a female conspiracy to keep
it away from the male side of the family (which, by the way, is being threatened with being overrun by females--chez Casey and Tash).
And Sonja, what is this comment about "gross boy things"? I never have
heard of any gross boy things, ever.
Dad

natasha said...

Dad-
AMY....was flying with me for some QK event when the child behind us vomitted all over the passenger sitting next to the mother holding the young child. The mother was sitting directly behind me in the middle sit and Amy was sitting next to me in the aisle seat. WELL....a little splash of *you know what* landed on Amy's pants....she looked up from her book and said (loudly) "Is that child's vomit?!" ha, ha, ha I still laugh about it because I was the one who witnessed the expression and tone of voice that went with it!

Thanks Amy for being a good sport....it really was quite funny! Of course, I would have different memories had I pulled my hand away from checking my hair if it had child vomit on it!

I'm sure the poor lady who really got it still doesn't have funny memories of that day!

amelia said...

it wasn't that loud! more like a noticeable sotto voce. and i was just surprised. i mean, i'm sitting there minding my own business reading a book, not paying any attention to any of our fellow passengers and out of nowhere i feel something warm soaking through my pant leg, which made me realize the sound i'd just heard without really noticing was vomiting.

you understand my response...